One of the best things you can do is take in nature’s beauty. Thankfully, Silver Spring has many places to do just that. We rounded up a list of must-see parks in the area. Make the most of your fall and check out these beautiful parks:
- Rock Creek Park passes along the west side of Silver Spring, and offers hiking trails, picnic grounds, and bicycling on weekends. The park is one of the larger ones in the area at 2,100 acres. It’s also home to fun attractions like the Carter Barron Amphitheatre, Rock Creek Planetarium, and Rock Creek Park Horse Center. After your park day is done, you can easily walk over to the Smithsonian National Zoo as the park borders it.
- Acorn Park is in the downtown area of Silver Spring. The park used to be Francis Preston Blair’s estate named “Silver Spring” (sound familiar?) which was inspired by a mica-speckled spring he discovered. Although the park is not very large, it packs in plenty to see with an acorn-shaped gazebo and beautiful murals.
- Wheaton Regional Park is a great spot for families with an adventure playground, which includes climbing structures, swings, giant slides, a sandcastle, and more. The Brookside Nature center has live reptile and mammal displays that are fun for all ages. Tennis lovers will enjoy the six outdoor courts and when the weather is not so nice there is the Wheaton Indoor Tennis Facility available.
- Sligo Creek Park offers hiking trails, tennis courts, playgrounds and bicycling. With over 10 miles of hard surface trail, there are several areas to explore that provide recreation for people of all ages and abilities. There are 15 picnic areas along the path that are free to use. The parks ends at Wheaton Regional Park if you want to hit two parks in one day.
- Ellsworth Urban Park is a 3.6-acre park that surrounds the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River and is home to a playground area and tennis courts. The park just added a new dog park— a great place for your four-legged friends to run and frolic. Their dog park has separate areas for dogs over and under 20 pounds. Plus, there are benches to relax as you sit and watch your dogs play. The park has ample parking and is within walking distance to many restaurants and shops.
Continue reading “Top 5 Parks in Silver Spring”
It’s that time of year again when the weather cools off and the Pumpkin Spice Lattes, autumn leaves, and beloved fall-inspired events return. So throw on a jacket and head to any of these events in the area to bring in the season in style:
The 6th Annual Dance and Music Festival at Veteran’s Plaza in downtown Silver Spring kicks off Sunday, September 22. The free events runs from 3 pm – 9 pm and features dance performances. All ages welcome. Continue reading “Fall Festivities in Silver Spring”
Explore what MoCo has to offer without breaking the bank. There are so many great things to do in the area that are perfect for dates, family trips, or just a solo excursion.
Get outside before the summer is over. Enjoy hiking, biking, and kayaking at the many parks and trails in the area. Wheaton Regional Park has over 11 miles of paved and natural surface trails. Have a picnic at the many available picnic tables and grills. There is a playground for the little ones so they can slide and swing to their heart’s desire. Pine Lake is nestled in the park if you want to fish or you can just relax by the water.
Brookside Gardens, is an award-winning garden within Wheaton Regional Park. The gardens are open without charge and includes an aquatic garden, children’s garden, and Japanese Style Garden— just to name a few. The gardens also often host active events like Yoga or Tai Chi. The area is definitely a must-see in Montgomery County.
The White Oak Library has a ton of free events, plus you can get all your summer reading in from their large selection of books. They have a weekly crafting event aptly named, “Crafternoons” where you’ll get to make your own creation in a guided workshop. Animal lovers will want to attend “Read to a Dog” where children can read to a therapy dog to improve their reading confidence. The list of upcoming events can all be found on their website. Continue reading “Free Things to do in Montgomery County”
Decorating your apartment is an important part of making your space feel like home. And you don’t have to spend a fortune to make a stylish space. Here are some ideas to give your place a facelift on a budget:
1. Let Your Room Reflect You
A well-placed mirror has the power to make a small room feel larger. Mirrors are the perfect way to open a smaller space up. Go for different shaped frames like a sunburst design or several panels to add an elegant touch to your walls. Try shopping second hand to see if you can score a vintage find.
Continue reading “Decorating On A Budget”
Summer, Summertime, time to sit back and unwind– and get into all the events happening in Silver Spring! Mark your calendars and take advantage of these fun events happening around town:
Have a total workout and have fun doing it when you take advantage of the Free Zumba classes hosted by Washington Sports Club. Zumba classes will be happening every Tuesday at 7 PM at the Fountain Plaza.
Continue reading “Summer Events in Silver Spring”