Furnishing a New Apartment on a Budget
Whether you are moving into your very first apartment or need some new pieces for your space, furnishing an apartment can quickly add up. From carpets to couches, there are certain ways to acquire great pieces without overpaying. Avoid a shock when you see your credit card statement after a shopping spree by implementing some of these savvy shopping tactics:
- Browser Extensions – If you use Google Chrome to do your online shopping, you will want to explore the Chrome Web Store’s free extensions. There are some extensions dedicated to helping you save money. For example, Honey automatically scans possible coupon codes for you at checkout without you having to do research on third-party sites.
- Coupons – Often times when you give your email address to a company via their website they will send you a welcome discount. Refrain from giving your email for the first time until you know you are ready to make a purchase. You don’t want the coupon to expire if you take a long time to make a decision!
- Forums – Social media is a great tool for finding second-hand furniture and decor. Facebook Marketplace is one example of a place where people can post photos of things they are trying to sell with a price. You can search for what you are looking for using keywords and a distance parameter. Often times, you can also negotiate the price with the seller. As with any online connection, use your judgement and arrange to make the exchange in a public, populated place.
- Second Hand Stores – Thrift stores contain a treasure trove of unique pieces to fill your new apartment with. Some might need some TLC, while you might find someone donated items in perfect condition. Depending on how crafty you are, you can find and rehab a piece of furniture as a fun project.
- Yard Sales – Keep an eye out around town for yard, estate, and moving sales signs. Furniture such as couches and loveseats can be a pain to move long distances so people often try and sell them before they move. Yard sales are great because you can inspect the condition of what you are buying in person before making an offer.
- Ask Friends and Family – If you have friends and family in the area, don’t be afraid to ask if they have any extra furniture they are trying to get rid of, or if they know someone who does. Networking is a great strategy for furnishing your space!
Moving into an apartment is an exciting life event! Once your move is set and you implement some of the above shopping tactics to fill you space, you will have plenty of time to enjoy your new town.
The White Oak communities are professionally managed by Grady Management, Inc. Learn more about Grady Management on the official website or Facebook page. While all White Oak communities are located close to Silver Spring, they each provide their own unique and quality apartment features and community amenities to fit the specific needs of the resident and provide the best of the best in apartment living.