One of the best things you can do is take in nature’s beauty. Thankfully, Silver Spring has many places to do just that. We rounded up a list of must-see parks in the area. Make the most of your fall and check out these beautiful parks:
- Rock Creek Park passes along the west side of Silver Spring, and offers hiking trails, picnic grounds, and bicycling on weekends. The park is one of the larger ones in the area at 2,100 acres. It’s also home to fun attractions like the Carter Barron Amphitheatre, Rock Creek Planetarium, and Rock Creek Park Horse Center. After your park day is done, you can easily walk over to the Smithsonian National Zoo as the park borders it.
- Acorn Park is in the downtown area of Silver Spring. The park used to be Francis Preston Blair’s estate named “Silver Spring” (sound familiar?) which was inspired by a mica-speckled spring he discovered. Although the park is not very large, it packs in plenty to see with an acorn-shaped gazebo and beautiful murals.
- Wheaton Regional Park is a great spot for families with an adventure playground, which includes climbing structures, swings, giant slides, a sandcastle, and more. The Brookside Nature center has live reptile and mammal displays that are fun for all ages. Tennis lovers will enjoy the six outdoor courts and when the weather is not so nice there is the Wheaton Indoor Tennis Facility available.
- Sligo Creek Park offers hiking trails, tennis courts, playgrounds and bicycling. With over 10 miles of hard surface trail, there are several areas to explore that provide recreation for people of all ages and abilities. There are 15 picnic areas along the path that are free to use. The parks ends at Wheaton Regional Park if you want to hit two parks in one day.
- Ellsworth Urban Park is a 3.6-acre park that surrounds the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River and is home to a playground area and tennis courts. The park just added a new dog park— a great place for your four-legged friends to run and frolic. Their dog park has separate areas for dogs over and under 20 pounds. Plus, there are benches to relax as you sit and watch your dogs play. The park has ample parking and is within walking distance to many restaurants and shops.
Silver Spring is a great location for those seeking a perfect blend of city living with recreational parks. With so many beautiful places near our communities Vista at White Oak Apartments, Yorkshire Apartment Homes, and Montgomery Paint Branch Apartment Homes choosing one that fits your needs is a breeze.