It’s October, which means that it’s time to make your home boo-tiful with fall-inspired and holiday decor. Here are some tips on how to make simple changes to your apartment to make a seamless transition into the autumn season:
- Swap out a few home accessories. Nothing says fall like plaid and flannel. Give your sofa or bed a quick facelift by placing a few plaid or check marked colored throw pillows. Stick with neutral and darker colors to make it feel like fall. Simple changes like pumpkin-inspired coasters or a new tablecloth can turn your apartment into a charming and festive space.
- Visit the Farmer’s Market. Grab pumpkins from the Freshfarm Downtown Silver Spring Market, it operates every Saturday year-round. Pumpkins are the season’s obvious must-have but don’t be afraid to mix it up with multi-colored pumpkins or gourds. The farmer’s market has a large selection of winter squash that is great for roasting, eating, or decorating.
- Add some mood lighting. Lighting is essential to creating an ambiance so don’t overlook it when you start incorporating your seasonal decorations. A string of orange lights or orb lights will help you achieve a subtle Halloween look. Candles make any space feel cozy. There are Halloween themed ones or pick a candle with autumn scents like Cinnamon, Apple Pie, or Hazelnut. Consider using electric candles for added safety if you have pets or kids in your apartment.
- Stock up on sweet treats. You’ll need to load up on sweet treats if you’re expecting trick or treaters. Why not store them in colorful jars and bowls? If October had an official color it would be orange and candy corn in a clear jar is a fun way to add a splash of orange to your place. Plus your friends and family will enjoy grabbing a few treats on their way out as well.
- Get crafty. If you want to get creative, there are lots of easy do-it-yourself decorations you can create. One idea is making candy corn painted wine bottles. Take an empty wine bottle, strip the label off and then paint it in stripes of yellow, orange, and white. It makes the perfect holiday-inspired decoration.
The White Oak Communities of Montgomery Paint Branch and Yorkshire Apartment Homes are close to many shopping centers with an excellent inventory of home decor. You can browse the aisles of the Westfield Wheaton or Orchard Center Target, the Silver Spring T.J.Maxx, or the Rockville HomeGoods.Happy decorating!
The White Oak communities are professionally managed by Grady Management, Inc. Learn more about Grady Management on their official website or Facebook page. Our communities Yorkshire Apartment Homes and Montgomery Paint Branch Apartment Homes provide their own unique and quality apartment features and community amenities to fit the specific needs of the resident and provide the best of the best in apartment living.